Saturday 5 April 2008

FAO Mr Justice Coleridge: Our family isn't broken and we do not wish to live in a stable...

"...two-parent household."

We tried that, and it wasn't stable. It wasn't even a stable.

This news article



reports that

A senior family court judge is to attack the government over what he says is an "epidemic" of family failure.

In a speech, Mr Justice Coleridge, 58, a Family Division judge for England and Wales, will say "wholesale collapse" is pushing children into drugs and crime.

He will say urban family life is "in meltdown" and the government is doing too little to address the problem.


Apparently a family without a father is 'broken' and therefore pretty much doomed to failure (however they define 'failure')..

"What is certain is that almost all of society's social ills can be traced directly to the collapse of the family life," he will say.

However, Mr Justice Coleridge, who heads family courts in the south west of England, will not criticise single parents directly.

"I am not saying every broken family produces dysfunctional children but I am saying that almost every dysfunctional child is the product of a broken family.


I would like to suggest to Mr Justice Coleridge the possibility that many of the children and families he sees in the course of his 'work' would be functioning just fine if it wasn't for society itself being broken and dysfunctional.

I don't think our children are suffering from the lack of male authority figures, much as Mr Justice Coleridge's ego might tell him otherwise. Good behaviour does not result from the forceful administration of sticks and carrots, though a certain degree of obedience and compliance might be obtained by those measures. But hardly enough to be worth the expenditure of energy. Self-directing peaceful co-operation comes from treating children with respect and consideration. Not trying to force them, sausage-like, through an increasingly obsolete system throughout their lives.

Our nation's children seem to be finally combining to resist the systematic battering of their individual natural shapes to make them fit the round hole requirements of the existing economic structure. Good. All power to them. My own children, not compelled to undergo such treatment, behave perfectly well as would most others in the same situation - with or without an omnipresent father.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mieke said...

LOL Gill!! I don't have to eat my hat. I saw the exact same article and immediately checked all your blogs to see what you'd written about it *grin*. Just had to look one blog further than usual... Glad to know next time I only have to check this one! :))

6 April 2008 at 08:41  
Blogger Mieke said...

Well, not this one where it ended up - as it should, I understand now - but the other, new one. Anyway, you already knew I'm slightly clumsy when it comes to virtual communication... But I'm learning, I'll be a blog adept one day ;).

6 April 2008 at 08:49  
Blogger Gill said...

Hi Mieke, oh I'm glad the hub made it easier for you to find it (and avoid eating your hat!)

Yes I was spluttering over my cornflakes yesterday. I think I might write an article explaining how some (not all! "Some do an excellent job..") older, married men have ruined society. Hmph. !

Trouble is, mine won't make any front pages..

6 April 2008 at 08:51  
Blogger Gill said...

I'm hoping that hub gets me blogging more across the range. I tend to forget how many blogs I've got. *blush*

6 April 2008 at 08:52  
Blogger Mieke said...

Mind - and I'm not defending here! - maybe older married men wouldn't make such a mess of it if more women start using their power and their brain, stand their ground and claim their responsibilities. Or am I saying naughty things here?

6 April 2008 at 09:01  
Blogger Gill said...

Not at all, IMO! It's a very good point, well made :-)

6 April 2008 at 09:02  
Blogger Minnie said...

How do you get the time to do all this, you clever thing? :o))

Oh Yes!!! This little gem had me frothing at the mouth. That bloke needs a serious reality check. Take that wig off and get some fresh air to his brain.... And to stop the labelling.

The majority of screwed up kids/adults I know come from two parent families. Sometimes it takes great courage to walk away from a comfy, materialistic lifestyle..but what's the point in staying in a relationship that's clearly not working with maybe a violent, abusive, controlling, unfaithful, disinterested partner. Yes, lead by example!! "Here you are, kids....look and learn. Stay and put up with it to keep face". Plonker.

7 April 2008 at 08:41  
Blogger Gill said...

Yes, I was just thinking that this morning Min. If the father of your children is a drunk and/or an abuser, who keeps his family short of money for food and other life essentials and generally makes their lives miserable, is it better for the children if you stay with him? Is it heck!

This judge, who claims to know what he's talking about, really doesn't. He'd have to walk a mile in the shoes of someone like you or me before he'd have the first idea about single parenthood.

Hey Min, with all this spare time on our hands (chortle) instead of sitting around being so feckless, we could go and get law degrees and do his job instead! I wonder how long we'd last before they kicked us out for making the 'wrong' decisions. And I wonder what would happen to our poor children in the meantime, while we abandoned them to further our careers. Hmm. Yeah, let's not.

7 April 2008 at 10:04  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home